Thursday, 18 December 2008

Done, done and done

This was a test piece for the word absorb. I animated lines that I had made in illustrator to move into the centre of the word gradually turning it to black, the idea had come from some of the early thunbnails that we had done in the workshops. I am pretty happy with the overall effect.

This next video is an earlier version of my final piece I was fairly happy with it but I felt that the way that absorb turned into boom didn't work very well and also I had used Ariel rounded as the typeface for 'boom' because I wanted to keep it consistant with the typeface I had used for absorb, but I didn't feel this worked as well a Geist which I had initially used for boom.

This is my final piece I managed to iron out all the little niggles I wasn't happy with on the previous version, and I got the timing bang on overall I am pretty happy with how it turned out.

Wednesday, 17 December 2008

Story Board

This is the story board for my final 10 second clip for the silent movie brief.


This is my animation for the word 'boom' I animated 10 BOOMs separately all of them spinning and flying in different directions to give the idea of an explosion.

I've also been experimenting with lighting effects. they give 3D layers much more depth. This first video hasn't got a lighting effect applied to it.

This second video does have a lighting effect applied to it, it gives it a more realistic 3D feel. I'll probably use a lighting effect in my final piece.

Tuesday, 16 December 2008

Test Pieces

I have been working on the transition between "confused" and "absorb" I'm pretty happy with how it turned out and I stuck to my timeline and what I had planned fairly well. The pace on this particular video might be a bit fast.

I then tried to used a camera layer to follow the path as it spelled out "confused" but because I had nested several layers, when I tried to zoom in the quality really nose dived. Also because of the pace that the line moves at the camera feels really jerky and unpleasant. I think I can safely say this was a fail but at least I learnt something doing it.

Thursday, 11 December 2008


I made a few more animations on after effects, my main goal was to see how I could animate a path, I am fairly happy with the results but want to see how i could take it further.

This was my first attempt the arrangement of the typography doesn't really convey the idea of confused but I was just experimenting with animating a path to create the type.

This was my second attempt I tried rearranging the letters to make it more "confusing". Although I don't know if I've rearranged then too far and the word has become illegible.

This is my third and I think most effective attempt, I have rearraged the letters to convey the idea of confused but the word is still fairley legible. I like the way your eye follows the line.

Wednesday, 10 December 2008


A nice video inspired by Jackson Pollock made on after effects

Amazing video about global warming using only typography. Gave me loads of ideas on how I could use typography creatively in our current brief.

Another cool video using type as image.

Some people have some seriously crazy skills with after effects. really well done, subtle but really cool looking and effective.

Wednesday, 3 December 2008

My Animations

These are the first 2 animations I made in the After Effects workshop this morning. Nothing very advanced, I was just experimenting animating simple shapes.


When we were given the design for digital media brief this was one of the first things I thought of. Its the intro to 2003 Odyssey BMX video. I really like its lo-fi feel.

This is an amazing animation by Studio MK12 for a song Sleeping Beauty by Funkstorung. If you watch one thing on this blog watch this! You can check out their show reel on their site by clicking here, Awsome.

Title Sequences

This is the title sequence for Kiss Kiss Bang Bang created by Danny Yount.

Brilliant title sequence for Steven Speilberg film, Catch Me If You Can. Great typography.


Today we started story boarding for our After Effects animations. They have to only use type and we are only allowed to use 3 colours. I was just coming up with some basic ideas of how I could get the movement of the word to relate to its meaning.